Dr Alison Taylor will deliver an intensive and practical course to provide attendees with the skills to maximise the use of demographic data in their decision-making.
Attend the Using Demographic Data to Enhance Decision-Making Masterclass to develop a deeper understanding of how to apply data in a meaningful way. You will learn how to analyse demographic data to identify critical evidence and how to then interpret and present data to enable and influence effective decisions.
Agenda highlights include:
- Exploring the different types of decisions and the impact that evidence can play in the decision-making process
- The how, what and when – getting the right demographic data to enable decision-making
- Demonstrating how demographic data can contribute to better infrastructure and service delivery decisions
- Interpreting data, analysing data and pulling it all together
This course is designed for individuals and teams involved in all types of service and infrastructure delivery and planning from:
- Local, State and Federal Government
- Organisations and associations involved in resourcing and planning services and/or infrastructure
Attend to learn:
- Where, when and how demographic data can most effectively be used to influence decision-making
- The nuts and bolts of using demographic data to understand the scale and nature of infrastructure and service delivery demand
- How an understanding of the broader context can highlight specific demographic pressures and identify compelling evidence
- Tips for analysing and presenting demographic data to tell a story in effective ways
ALphaDemographics & Planning Information
Dr Alison Taylor is a highly skilled demographer, with broad experience in the research and application of population and other projections in an urban and regional planning policy context. This has included applying demographic and related data to support policy, planning, service delivery and infrastructure decisions.
Alison was most recently the NSW Chief Demographer, before that a demographer for the Queensland and ACT governments and manager of social research at the City of Gold Coast.
Alison has been a demographic planner for NSW School Education and was a foundation member of the Queensland Non State Schools Accreditation Board Funding Eligibility Committee. In October 2017, Alison was appointed to the National School Resourcing Board by the Minister for Education.
Alison has been responsible not only for producing projections but also providing relevant interpretation and advising on demographic data used in major regional planning exercises such as The South East Queensland Regional Plan and A Plan for Growing Sydney. A significant component of Alison’s work has involved providing advice regarding infrastructure planning and contributing to a quality evidence base that underpins strategic decision-making and investment choices.
Kim is a demographer with over 20 years experience. Kim has worked in research, analytical, social policy and strategy roles in government, non-government and academic sectors. Most recently, Kim was practice lead for community insights and modelling at the NSW Data Analytics Centre.
What People Are Saying
“This was a well organised masterclass with knowledgeable and engaging presenters and very useful and hands-on sessions. Wouldn’t hesitate to attend another Criterion event in the future.”Research and Planning Officer, Catholic Education Office WA
“Great course. Highly recommended to anyone involved in strategic land use planning.”Strategic Planner, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council
“This is a great course for people looking to learn more about the value of data in decision making. The course content was interesting and the presenters were engaging. I have a new appreciation for how powerful data is and the important role it can play in educating the community and decision makers.”Strategic Planning, Northern Beaches Council