Improving prevention & enhancing responses to child sexual abuse
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse brought the widespread abuse of children in care to national attention. With over 400 recommendations, the Commission highlighted the need to be proactive and purposeful in creating child safe organisations, to take children seriously and give them a voice.
The Creating Child Safe Organisations conference will explore what organisations can do to ensure the safety of children in their care. It will look at what can be done now as well as policy and mandates that may occur in the future.
Presentations will come from senior people in the Royal Commission, Government, OOHC, Schools, Religious institutions, Disability Services and Sports and Recreational groups.
This conference will cover
- Implementing a child safe culture and standards
- Cultivating supportive environments to empower children
- Strengthening incident reporting and investigation
- Using evidence to inform best practice
- Upskilling staff with the skills & knowledge to protect children
- Improving information sharing across organisations
- Update from a Royal Commissioner
- NSW Deputy Ombudsman
- 10 practical case studies
- A youth commissioner
- Personal story as told by a survivor
- and more…
Who will attend?
Organisations, institutions and departments who have care or responsibility for children, including:
- Out-of-home care
- Disability services
- Sports and recreation groups
With responsibilities for:
- Quality & Review
- Child Protection
- Wellbeing & Pastoral Care
- Residential/Client Services
Attend to learn:
- Update following the Royal Commission & future direction
- Implement a child safe culture & framework
- Improve incident reporting & responses
- Equip staff to support child safe environments