“Having a digital strategy will soon seem as ridiculous as having an electricity strategy.” – Kay Boycott, Asthma UK
The New Reality is a research study into digital transformation in not-for-profit businesses. Based on interviews with over 50 senior leaders and digital experts from non-profit and commercial organisations, it provides a framework for NFPs to take the next steps in their digital journey.
Read the full report here, or read on for 10 key insights from the study:
- Digital services will deliver greater value than anyone can imagine – but they will require significant cultural and infrastructural change for their potential to be fully realised.
- Digital responsibilities cannot be delegated – a lack of buy-in from senior leadership is one of the most commonly cited obstacles to transformation.
- The skills gap is widening – particularly in areas like data, strategy, lean process management and business model innovation.
- You don’t need a digital strategy – digital needs to be integrated into all aspects of strategy rather than relegated to an independent department.
- IT tools are becoming easier to use – organisations must consider whether it’s their IT leadership that’s holding them back.
- Start small – choose one problem to transform through a lean, iterative approach and apply your learnings to the next step.
- Funders need to invest in core costs – and NFPs must make better use of the social finance market.
- It’s not just about digital marketing and fundraising – it’s time to start focusing on how digital technology can transform organisations around their core mission.
- Formalise your R&D programs – a number of organisations have succeeded in integrating structured research and development activities into what they do.
- Think beyond the web – huge opportunities exist to bring together the best of the web’s capabilities with other technology services.
Julie Dodd, Director of Digital Transformation & Communication at Parkinsons UK and author and research lead of The New Reality, will be International Keynote at the Not-for-Profit Technology & Innovation conference in Sydney this September. Attend to hear more about The New Reality Project, lessons from the UK and how to identify what a digital-first NFP will look like.