In February 2018 we hosted the Finance Transformation in Government conference in Canberra. It attracted Chief Financial Officers and Senior Finance professionals from across the APS. The Speaker line-up included CFO’s from, the Department of Immigration & Border Protection, NSW Department of Industry, the ATO and ACT Health to mention a few.
Steven Groves, the CFO at the Department of Immigration & Border Protection spoke about ‘Leading a Financial Integration Journey’, he covered:
- Integrating financial management priorities and constraints for two complex government organisations
- Driving change to improve financial management processes
- Applying critical success factors and lessons learnt to current and future government priorities and change
Christopher Martin, the CFO at NSW Department of Industry spoke about ‘Leading Strategic Change for the Financial Function’, he covered,
- Driving change management across the function
- Using technology effectively to achieve efficiency
- Becoming a strategic business partner across the business
The key takeaways for our delegates from the event were:
” Topics very relevant and speakers high quality. I have always found Criterion Conferences deal with topics most relevant to my circumstances and speakers are always of a high quality.” – Richard Menteith, Chief Financial Officer, Sydney South West Area Health Service
“Very helpful and useful insights. Lots of light bulb moments invoking ideas of how to progress our finance transformation project.” – Melissa Brown, Manager Financial Control and Accounting, NZ Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
“Overall an enlightening conference that provided an excellent view on the direction and changing shape of finance roles & functions and the importance of finance professionals being able to take on this opportunity for becoming part of the business.” – Tana Ramsden, Corporate Accounting Manager, Wollongong City Council
The overarching Questions remain:
- What can public sector finance leaders do to help their agency strategically adapt to
- reduced funding and help make those changes sustainable?
- What challenges do they face in improving the way their agency operates?
- What are the talent acquisition requirements to help drive these changes?