Enabling support networks and a culture for professional learning:
- Establishing teams and their priorities (one focus for development).
- Engaging in coaching conversations
- Engage in a mentoring process, including modelling of practice, cooperative planning and observation and feedback.
- Engage in reflective practices
- Challenge the team design
Challenge the standard team formation
Making time and Space
Professional Development is expensive and time consuming.
During 2015 – 2017, AWSS was spending on average, $4500 in release time for professional development.This did not include course costs, travel or entitlements.
What happened in the process was:
- Teachers were removed from a regular class.
- Missed learning opportunities for students.
- Increases in behaviors for admin to deal with on these days.
- Teachers still had to plan for the day, adding extra work to their week.
Countering the challenge of time:
- Reducing staff meetings
- Moving to online training rather than face to face
- Introduction of further specialists.
- Dedicating a space