Employee engagement is a top talent issue that is plaguing many organisations at the moment. But the once that are most complacent is the Higher Education Sector. According to a Deloitte report university employee engagement has benefits such as increased faculty retention and enhanced student attainment.
Source: Deloitte Report
Why should employee engagement be on the radar of higher education leaders when there’s so much else to contend with?
For starters, a Gallup survey found that 52% of higher education faculty are not engaged in their work, and 14 percent are actively disengaged. The black and white outcomes from this disconnect?
- 61 percent of institutions have difficulty sourcing top faculty
- 59 percent struggle to retain top faculty
- 27 percent report above average turnover rates for faculty
In his research, Harvard Business School professor Clayton Christensen mentioned that most of the alumni donations that came in were due to a positive experience with a faculty member, someone who has touched their lives during their course of university.
Adrian Gostick and Bob Nelson, University Business, Employee Regulation Authorities give tips & tricks on how you can improve employee engagement:
- Most faculty move away from their homes and often uproot their families to take the university post. By sending them a simple gesture of appreciation, like flowers or a thank you note to their home could make a big difference by making your faculty member feel more involved with your organisation.
- Perform a routine task the employee dislikes.
- Acknowledge employees for their work daily or weekly as opportunities come by.
- Ask faculty or staff who receive an award to select two colleagues who helped them earn it. Acknowledge the efforts of those colleagues too.
- At department or faculty meetings, ask attendees to share one way they recognized someone in their department. Or select an individual in attendance and ask everyone else at the meeting to make one comment about why they like this individual or how this person has helped them in the past.